Rubi Chakravarti - Theatre Afficianado, International Stand-Up Comedian & Performing Artist, Actor, Columnist, Writer, Corporate Nuturer and Activist. Internationally Validated by BBC as one of the Top 100 Women to have made a difference in the year 2014 and selected by Salt magazine as among the 100 of the greatest female change agents of 2015 - visionary women who are shattering the glass ceiling, changing innumerable lives for the better, and having a positive influence all around the world..
From a Full
Time Mother to a Firebrand Actress
• Rubi Chakravarti was a full time mother and wife till she turned 40. That's when she decided to become an actor. In the short span of 8 years she managed to carve a niche for herself as a highly respected actor with an inimitable style of her own.
Body of Work – Theater
• She has acted in innumerable plays written and directed by some of the most respected directors in India.
• She has done numerous plays all over India mostly written by Asian playwrights.
• Rubi has been the fortunate actor to have had a play especially written for her by an award winning Indian playwright Ms. Poile Sengupta.
• As an actor she has appeared in: Mahesh Dattani’s “Final Solutions” “Mad About Money” & “Seven Steps Around The Fire”, Sri Lankan playwright Ruwanti De Chickera’s "Middle of Silence", Poile Sengupta "Inner Laws", "Shoorpanakha and Shakuni", Michael Cristofer's Pulitzer prize winning play "The Shadow Box", Dario Fo's "The Open Couple, packed shows of Eve Ensler's "The Vagina Monologues" to raise funds for a women's NGO and many more.
• She has performed for a series of plays to raise funds for the Cancer Hospice Karunashraya
Body of Work - Cinema
• Rubi has acted in four cross over films which have won accolades internationally.
– Mahesh Dattani’s Mango Souffle and Dance like a Man
– Brides Wanted with award winning actors like Waheeda Rehman and Girish Karnad.
– She has just completed shooting for a Bollywood film and the 23 Episode Season 1 of "Ishaan" a TV Serial for Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Idiot Box and Disney.
- She has shot for a pivotal role in Bijoy Nambiar's Bollywood film "David" with with Vikram Kennedy, Tabu, Isha Shervani and Remo Fernandes.
Body of Work – Stand-Up Comedy, Product Launches,
• Rubi has done solo stand up shows for corporate clients at The Taj Gateway, Hotel Grand Ashok, Le Meridian, Taika, Fusion Lounge, B-Flat and performed for the prestigious American Chamber of Commerce at the Taj West End in Bangalore and at ITC-Maurya, New Delhi. She has performed in most of the major cities in India and has the distinction of being the only Asian woman to have performed at the prestigious Lord’s Pavilion in London to an august audience. She has done corporate standup comedy shows for Mantri Builders and for The Bangalore Club which had an audience of over 1200 person at each of these shows. Her other corporate standup comedy shows include Sapient, Fidelity, Yahoo India, Cisco and Accenture which was streamed live to over 15,000 employee's all over India. She has also performed at Movenpick Hotel & Spa Bangalore to promote their Crazy Sky Bar. She has recently launched for the Novotel group of Hotels their high end restaurant "THE SQUARE" with her scintillating stand up comedy show which was a resounding success. She has done the pre-launch branding exercise for "Blue Terrain" at Novotel with 2 night's of Supper Theater. Recently she did a standup comedy show for the charities of 'Community Services of Bangalore'. She has recently completed a solo ad campaign for Purawankara Builders and Tata 'Gemini' Tea.
• Rubi is also a familiar face in many advertisement stills and films. The most prestigious amongst them being the films shot for an international audience for Microsoft and HSBC.
• She has done numerous launches; including Chivas Regal, Movado watches, and Absolut Vodka. She likes to describe herself as a consummate performer entertainer and an artiste and believes in extending her repertoire to all areas of entertainment. She has also done a show for "Chairman's Day" for The All India Gem & Jewellery Trade Federation.
• She has worked with numerous charities including auctioning Art for the Bangalore Habba and Friends of Renaissance (a very popular and well respected Art Resource).
• She is a much sought after Celebrity columnist and is presently writing a very popular and much read column for a leading Indian national newspaper "The Deccan Chronicle". She has written a weekly celebrity column in "INDULGE" - The New Indian Express for over 4 years. She also is a regular contributor as an expert, for "Vahini" which is Accenture's Woman's empowerment online portal.
• She has been felicitated as a “Woman Achiever” by Bangalore Club on the occasion of “International Women’s Day” and by Titan Industries for her contribution to Entertainment and Theater. She has Hosted and Emceed the launch of the Times of India Bangalore Food Guide & Nightlife Awards 2007 at the ITC-Windsor in February 2008. She was chairperson & moderator for The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) on Women's Day and has done empowerment seminars for women for The Overseas Women's Club in Bangalore. She has also been a key note speaker at the CEO Club, Bangalore.
• She was one of the 100 women invited by the prestigious British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), London to participated in their Global 100 women conference in 2013 which included a series of interviews and a workshop with the world renowned comedienne Kate Smurthwaite.
• She is a much sought after and very popular Corporate trainer who devises and conducts seminars using humour as empowering and listening tool, and also using the content of her humour to address serious issues quickly and succinctly. She was the first woman to have innovatively used stand up comedy as an ice-breaker exercise for Dankse Bank for a group of over 750 IT professions and has recently led a very successful seminar for The Taj Group of Hotels specifically using humour as a listening and empowerment tool. She is the first Asian woman to use stand up comedy as a training tool...one laugh at a time.
• This year too she has be adjudged as 'one the 100 most influential women in the world who made a difference in 2014', an honour that is given by the BBC to women who have created a niche for themselves and are motivators, mentors and inspiring for other women.
• She has been rated #78 by Salt magazine who have selected 100 of the greatest female change agents of 2015 – visionary women who are shattering the glass ceiling, changing innumerable lives for the better, and having a positive influence all around the world. From powerful opponents of political oppression to generous philanthropists and iconic feminists, their 100 Inspiring Women list showcases the world’s most incredible females.
Some of these recipients are: #1 MALALA YOUSAFZAI, #4 AUNG SAN SUU KYI, #9 MELINDA GATES, #13 ARIANNA HUFFINGTON, #22 AMAL CLOONEY, #23 ANGELINA JOLIE, #24 ARUNDHATI ROY, #48 GERMAINE GREER, #67 HELENA MORRISSEY, #77 ELIZABETH WARREN, #78 RUBI CHAKRAVARTI
• She has performed a series of stand-up comedies over a span of 3 months for Starbucks at their flagship stores to kick-start their "Cultural Evenings" in Bangalore.
• She has recently participated in the Times of India 'LITFEST' Bangalore as a speaker along with Radhika Vaz to a highly appreciative audience.
• She has participated in The Deccan Herald Theatre Festival of Plays in Feb/March 2015, where she performed to a sellout audience over four days at different theatres. Her portrayal of a Hyderbadi matriarch in a play adapted from a book Marry-go Round, by Sadiqa Peerbhoy who also wrote the script; won her accolades both by the audience and the press.
• She has led a seminar "Empowerment Through Humour" in her new series Discovering your Inner Devi at Akamai Technologies Women's Forum Carnival 2015.
• She once again participated in The Deccan Herald Theatre Festival of Plays during March 2016, where she performed to a sellout audience for four shows at different theatres in Bengaluru. Her portrayal of Amrita in the play 9 Jakhoo Hill by Gurcharan Das got her rave reviews.
• She has performed a stand-up comedy show for the Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru (KIAB) Pinnacle Awards 2016 at the Taj Kempegowda for a highly appreciative 400 strong audience.
• She has successfully branded herself and the brand "RUBI CHAKRAVARTI" is now a much sought after and respected brand to contend with.